Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Bye Bye BB

I am so excited yet so sad at the same time. Emma went her first whole day yesterday without her BB, which is her language for pacifier. I know it is time for her to give it up, but I had no idea I would be so sad about it! This is a huge step in her turning two and becoming a big girl. Emma has loved this BB since the day she was born. It has been a huge security for her. It was also not any normal pacifier that I could run to Target and get if it was lost. These pacifiers are Gumdrop pacifiers that come from Hawaii or could only be found in a very small, specialty children's shops and the closest one for us was about thirty minutes away. We had tried giving it up a few months ago, but she got another ear infection and then we went through tubes and her being in the hospital so I just let it go. A few weeks ago we started talking about it with her and we would say things to her like, "that BB is yucky" or "throw the BB in the trash" and "BB's are for babies." I decided we would let her take it to the beach since we would be in a different environment for a week. But, when we returned home, it was time.

Yesterday I talked to her in the morning after breakfast. I told her that she was getting ready to turn two and that she was going to be a big girl. Big girls do not use BB's and that they are for babies like Hannah. (Luckily, Hannah does not use the Gumdrop pacifier, she uses a different kind). I told her that if she wanted a nice Abby Cadabby birthday party, then she had to say bye bye to BB. She got off of the couch, got her BB off of the toy box and brought it right to me.

I kept her extra entertained yesterday. We went to the mall, ate lunch out, got a cookie, got some new socks and fall shirts, and did things around the house like coloring, printed pages off of the Internet of her favorite characters, did sticker books, etc. At nap time, she cried a little bit, but not long. She asked for BB about six times during the day. I would tell her, "remember, your a big girl now" and she dropped the subject. She never had a meltdown for it. I was SO nervous when bedtime came. Bo was out of town and I just knew I would be up with her all night. I was SHOCKED when she went to bed without it and didn't even ask for it. I was even more shocked that she did not cry for it. Moreover, she slept through the entire night and didn't even cry out once for it. I truly think that she understood everything we talked about. It has been much easier than I ever expected. Now, I think she is taking it better than me! What a huge transition this is for her. So far today she has asked for it once, but again no meltdown. I am so proud of her.

Bye, bye BB!






I am not sure how I am going to make it through the day not looking for a BB or making sure we have a BB plus an extra wherever we go! We will miss you BB!

One thing Emma did do that I forgot to mention was during her nap I went to check on her and noticed that one of Hannah's BB's was in the hallway. I knew that was a BB that I kept in my nightstand in case I needed it during the night. I went to check my bedroom and sure enough the drawer was open. Emma must have got out of her bed, went to check the drawer for her BB and saw it was not there! I was so glad I remembered to take that one out since she knew where it was. I thought it was pretty clever though. I know she was thinking, "hmmm, mom is downstairs, let me go see if my other BB is in her nightstand." I have to give her that - pretty smart thinking! I love this "big" girl so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment