Monday, July 5, 2010

Hannah Gets Tubes

On June 28th we went in for round two of tubes. Emma stayed the night at my mom and dad's since we had to wake poor Hannah up at 5:15. She went to a different hospital than Emma and it was farther away. This was actually Emma's initial appointment that I had to wait months go get. After realizing Hannah needed them so badly I found another doctor for Emma who did hers sooner. That way Hannah could see the CHKD doctor (Children's Hospital of Kings Daughters). I felt more comfortable having Hannah at the pediatric hospital since she is so much younger.

It was a very inviting atmosphere all centered around children. Hannah was wonderful considering she could not have anything to eat or drink. She was the youngest of the day, which meant she was first. She did great during her triage and then we waited in a beautiful playroom. Other children started coming in after about fifteen minutes of us being there.

The anaesthesiologist met with us as well as the doctor. Everything was very familiar to us so we were very prepared. Hannah was called back at exactly 7:30. Bo and I then went to a separate family waiting room. About twenty minutes later the doctor came in, said Hannah did great, gave us some ear drops and some extra information and then he was on his way. A nurse came by, picked us up and we followed her to the post op area, which looked like an ER - little beds separated by curtains.

Hannah was already awake and being held by the nurse. She saw us and typical Hannah - she just smiled and laughed. She was then allowed to have juice so I gave her about four ounces of juice and precious thing just gulped it down. The nurse went to get more and we had to take her bottle away to refill it and that was the only time she cried! She did so well after her surgery. It was definatley a better age to have it done. Emma was more scared and more aware of everything happening, especially when they took her from us. Hannah really didn't know what was going on and it made me more relaxed knowing that she wasn't scared.

Hannah did great all day. Bo actually drove her home and stayed with her while I reported for my internship and completed some hours. I was so proud of her and couldn't wait to get home to her. But, it was like nothing had ever happened!

My mom dropped Emma off later that day and brought Hannah a new talking book. Bo's mom also sent Hannah her own "Abby Cadabby" doll. I had to put drops in Hannah's ears for the next three days and Emma wanted me to put drops in her ears too! So, I would have to pretend to put drops in Emma's ears just so she wouldn't feel left out.

I am so glad these procedures are over with! They have been on my mind a lot since March when they both stayed so sick. I really hope that I see a difference with ear infections but more importantly I hope that Emma and Hannah do not have to endure anymore pain, fevers, doctor appointments and medications because of thier little ears. We will see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment