Tuesday, July 27, 2010

ABC's/ Word World Show

I had to create a blog about how well Emma is doing with her letter identification. I cannot believe that she is not even two, but can recognize her letters. She has had the leapfrog letter magnets on the fridge, plenty of books and the foam letters in the bathtub. Of course she has had a lot of exposure to words and reading, but it is not like I have pushed it on her. We realized that she was understanding letters about three months ago when she recognized the letter B. She would see a B and say it and then it has caught on to many other letters. She points and says the letters in the bathtub, on menus in restaurants, in her books, on t-shirts that we wear, on promotional displays in stores - basically anywhere she sees them. We will ask her, "where is the K?" and she will point and then she will say them on her own. The ones she knows by heart are B, F, H, K, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, U, X, and Y. I am amazed and my mom did not believe me when I first told her she was identifying letters. I knew she was a smart girl, but I am really excited with all that she is absorbing.

Also, any parent who has not seen the show Word World on PBS kids needs to watch it. It is the BEST tv show - nobody can say this show is not valuable. It is a precious cartoon with animals and objects spelled out and they focus on one or two words an episode to spell - using phonetically correct pronunciations. However, the other words in the show are also there so they are seeing them environmentally. AWESOME show! Emma and Hannah both love it plus the characters are adorable, it has cute music and beautiful colors. There is also a Word World website, Word World DVD's (the kids watch them in the van like crazy), and Word World books at the Dollar Store. I love this show and I also contribute this show to Emma's interest in letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment