Saturday, July 7, 2012

Baltimore

Yeah, I knew it would be a long time since writing. I guess I am going to start over a week ago when I left for Baltimore for our school conference. So many people have said, "why are you going on a conference during your summer break?!!?!?" Hello - and I will repeat:

1. It was free
2. all recertification points for the YEAR = less meetings during the school year
3. time with friends/coworkers/administrators outside of school
4. hotel room by myself for three nights = yes please!
5. nothing is wrong with mixing a little work with fun

So, there you go. I rode with three other hilarious coworkers to Baltimore. We had very interesting conversations from Mr. Grey, things apples and toilet paper roles can be used for, trips we have taken, differences in our own children, family, how husbands had extra responsibilities while we were gone, the shoppers vs. the non shoppers, fears of bridges and I don't even know what else but we seemed to entertain ourselves quite well for the four and half hours it took to get there.

SPS put us up in a hotel right by the Harbor so everything was in walking distance. The first day we were there we went to the aquarium. I did not know they had a dolphin show there so I thought that was so cute. After that we explored around the harbor and the major restaurants had tented outdoor eating/drinking areas outside by the water and it was so nice to sit there, enjoy a "snack" and people watch. The weather was so nice too. Other coworkers from our school and other schools arrived so we met up with them that evening.

The conference was set up really nice. Although there were many people and schools from all over the country it was very relaxed. Food/snacks were provided for us all day outside the conference area and we could  get up whenever we needed and get coffee, drinks or snacks. One of our presenters was from Texas and she did a good job of mixing humor with her talking. We also did many get up, move around and talking activities so it was not like we were held captive to our seat all day. We got an hour and half for lunch and the first conference day we were given a sit down lunch at the Marriott which was very nice.

We were also provided with very nice materials, books, digital materials and free educational trials and accounts to use. All in all I thought it was very nice.

As far as more play: We enjoyed a wonderful dinner at a restaurant in "Little Italy" one night and it was "Winesday" so bottles were half off. We also enjoyed a night at the Orioles game. We did a little shopping and visited a few historic sites for our history teachers.

Bo was working in Northern Virginia on Friday so he was able to come pick me up Friday around lunch and we headed back to VA to get ready for our beach trip.

I missed the girls and Bo very much while being gone, but I kept reminding myself to just enjoy the free time I had. It was very nice to hang out, talk and spend time with my administrators and coworkers on a more personal level. Since I work in the library I am not really part of a "team" and it was nice to connect with the teachers more. I also got more insight from my AP about potentially starting my EDS to one day work my way into administration. I am trying to decide when the best time is to start it and also want to see if a cohort will be starting soon.

I am very thankful for this trip and do not regret spending a few days of my summer thinking about work. I got to know my way around Baltimore pretty good and would like to take the girls there too.

entrance to the aquarium - so pretty!

dolphin show

I LOVED this bird - she was pink and so sweet - think she should be in the Phi Mu house!

our spot by the Harbor

me in front of Camden Yards with Ripken's #8

entrance to Camden

front row with my AP before the game

my principal, me, my AP, two fourth grade teachers and a special ed teacher (some of our Hillpoint crew that was there - certainly not all)

cool view from other seats at Camden 

No comments:

Post a Comment