Monday, June 4, 2012

Puppy Love

Well, that wonderful weekend in the last post was short lived. Today started as a normal day and was ending as usual. After work I went to moms to get the girls. Dad was on duty and Bo was out of town so the girls and I had spaghetti night with mom. We were playing around with the girls and just doing nothing when I decided to start packing everything up to leave. I always take the bags to the van, open both doors and mom puts in a child and I put in the other. Lilly always goes potty one more time before she hops in the van herself.

That is where tonight ended differently. As we were getting the kids into the van we noticed Lilly was on the far side of mom and dad's house and not on the side near the van. She never goes over there. We were calling her expecting her to come right over. Then Mom saw her head to the back of the house, so I started walking to the back calling her over and over again. We went back to the front and then I saw her in the road. She had all four paws in the air and then I knew she had been hit by a car. My parents live in rt. 10 off the main road and even though it is a two lane street and only 35 MPH, it stayed pretty busy especially that time in the evening. I could not believe what I was seeing and just started running for the road. As I got there I noticed how strange it was that no cars were coming in either direction. I just picked her up and held her. Lilly's eyes were opened but her neck was tilted far back. I thought she had surely broken her neck. She was also very stiff and made a very weird sound from in her throat and so I immediately just started saying good-bye to her. Mom had ran over to me and just hugged me and we walked to the side porch with her. I just knew she was going to die in my arms.

Then a truck pulled in our driveway and a lady got out and said how sorry she was - that there was nothing she could do to avoid hitting her. I was in such a shock I don't remember anything else. The girls were in the van panicking and not knowing what was wrong. I decided it was best to tell them that Lilly was hurt and that she was going to live with Jesus. We were all telling her we loved her over and over again.

My mom was calling Bo and we still didn't know just what to do. After about five minutes - even though it seems like an hour - Lilly was still breathing and had a heartbeat. Mom said to take her to the vet to see if she could be saved. I then noticed I had blood all over my shirt from holding her and that it was coming from her ear. Mom threw the kids in her car so fast I don't even know how she did it all. We were rushing to get to the vet, which I knew was about 40 minutes away since ours was closed. As I called the lady asked where I was coming from and when I said Suffolk, she said that a new ER vet had opened closer to us. So, I called there and they were ready for us.

I thought Lilly was fading in the car as I held her. At one point I thought it was over but then she would open her eyes again. Of course we even had to get behind a cop on the way there but my mom still managed to get us there in record time. When we got to the vet they were practically waiting with their hands out. They were amazing. Even the secretary came out and helped my mom with the kids. Come to find out this place had just opened month ago. It was beautiful and everyone there was just so nice to us.

After a few minutes they called me back and I thought, well, that was too fast, they are giving me bad news. But, she said they started an IV, gave her pain meds and wanted to do X-rays. After about 20 or so minutes she showed me the X-ray. I COULD NOT believe Lilly had no broken bones. She said the bleeding was coming from a small cut above her ear and that she had some swelling around her lungs, which was normal for this type of injury. She said the main concern was her brain swelling, which would cause to hemorrhage and that would kill her instantly. So, I had to sign to give her an injection to help prevent the swelling. Then after going over the figures that a night stay would cost us, they suggested we go and keep tabs on her through the night. They assured us that she would be constantly monitored and if any negative changes occurred they would call me.

We all went back to her to say goodnight. She was in a little acrylic like box with oxygen flowing in it and an IV. She was breathing heavily and her eyes were squinty. The girls were holding up pretty well and just asked why she had to stay and if she would come home. Hannah insisted that she keep her "blanket" which was the towel we brought her in. The whole way home my mom and I just could not believe she was even there and alive. The way I saw her look in that road gave me no hope at all for her. Boy, was I wrong. For a 4lb. little dog, I think she was determined to hang in there or at least give it a try for us.

Poor Bo being out of town did not handle the news well. My mom was a disaster and I felt like I had to keep it together for the girls. It was not until I got home that I really started to cry, realizing how much Lilly is part of this home. I got her my senior year of college and Bo came to love her very quickly. She was our baby when we were having a hard time having babies. Now she is a protector of the girls. She still thinks she is a child and has showed me quite a few times how mad she is when we leave her at home and the girls get to go somewhere. I mean....Lilly even goes to my moms when the girls go. She is rarely left alone.

My heart is aching for her tonight, but I know she is in the best place at the time. The update awhile ago was good. The nurse said she was better than before - more alert, aware of her surroundings and she had moved around in her house a little bit. She said her blood work was good too. I think it was a miracle she has made it this far. My mom and I had our backs turned to the road calling her name for awhile, and we don't know exactly when she was hit. But, the most amazing thing to me is that another car did never came around that corner to hit her again while she was still in the road. When I ran to her I noticed immediately no cars were coming in either direction. That is what really got me.

We will know more on Lilly in the morning. I am pulling for her big time and hoping she will get to come home. I hope she will be normal and walk and potty okay. I am still very worried but at least she is there and being well cared for.

WE LOVE YOU LILLY!!! PLEASE COME HOME HEALTHY!  The girls and I said a prayer when we got home and i certainly believe He was watching over in that road. My dad said that he thinks Lilly ran into the tire and was not actually hit. It knocked her out pretty good, but if the truck had ran over her, there would be no way her tiny body would had survived that big truck. He also said he has noticed a lot of squirrels on that side of the house recently and thinks she may have ran after a squirrel. I do believe that is what may had happened because Lilly never goes over there and when she sees something, she goes after.

Hope to have good news tomorrow. I cannot sleep. My nerves are shot. Nothing is on TV. I miss my dog being in bed with me and keeping me company, especially when Bo is gone.

this was the very first picture that came up when selecting a picture to upload and it is also one of my favorites. my sweet, precious puppy - love her so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment