Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What. A. Week.

We decided to evacuate for hurricane Irene. We left Friday and went to Raleigh. When VA Beach started to evacuate we knew it was time for us to go. I did not want to be without power with two kids at home and not know when it would come back on. Of course Bo was out of town so I had to pack everyone by myself. I did go to work Friday and luckily Bremer, our college sitter, was available to help me with the girls. My mom, sister and grandmother had already evacuated to Salem, Va. So, after work I drove the girls to Raleigh and Bo had to meet us there. It was windy and rainy in Raleigh and we enjoyed the day being lazy. We did venture to Target later in the evening when the rain stopped. We just needed to "get out" for awhile.
lazy day at nana and dadoo's
playing dress up
Of course I spent a lot of time keeping up with people at home and what was going on at home. My dad and brother in law stayed home. My mom had some minor damage to her home with some siding that flew off. Her screen porch was also covered in mud. My dad said he had never seen such strong wind and heavy rain. He even had to go to my other grandmother's house because her window actually blew out. So, he had to board it up during the hurricane! Everyone lost power of course.

We all came home Sunday after chuch. The trees and power lines were a mess as we drove more East. Some roads were closed due to the lines down, but our route was okay. Thankfully, power had been restored by the time we were home. We found some water damage at our back door and in Emma's room upstairs. We immediately had to report it to our insurance company. Although we had power, we have not had cable, internet or phone until TONIGHT. So, that is why I am so behind on blogging.

My grandmother had to stay the night with us Sunday night since she still did not have power, nor my mom and dad and several other relatives. So, we were the lucky ones. We just couldn't watch tv! Monday we were out of school, which is the worst week ever for teachers to be out. We lost an entire day of working in our rooms to prepare for the school year.

The rest of the week has been normal at work. The LMS position has so many rewards but I have been extremely busy. I had to sit in on 5 interviews today for paraprofessional positions. I also have been preparing to give my copyright staff development to the teachers. I have checked all new material into the computer system, labeled and shelved them. I have started working on plans, but I dont get students until the 19th, so I have more time to focus on that later. Today I worked on distributing technology to the teachers. They each need their Elmo's, interwrite pads, remotes, calculators, listening centers, etc. And.....of course the laminator broke today so I had to make my first call into our service technician!

I have also had to start bulletin boards and organize a "new book" area for our parent meet and greet tomorrow. So............busy, yes......wonderful, yes!! I would not trade it for anything so far.
Plus, my commute has been averaging 6-8 mins from my mom's house after dropping off the girls. I also get to see the girls in the morning, which Iam not used to at all during the school year!

I will post pics of my library and office after I feel it is "ready."

We also have a big day for Emma tomorrow! We have her teacher meet and greet at preschool! She is so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment