Monday, October 11, 2010

Allergy Update

Today was our first ever visit to the allergist. After July's egg allergy and visit to the ER our pediatrician recommended us seeing a pediatric allergist. She said that usually one food allergy goes along with another. I had no idea what to expect but I was not set on Hannah going through the skin testing.

After talking to the doctor of course that is what she recommended. I panicked a bit thinking of her having to go through so many shots like my sister did long ago. Well, it has changed a bit and the doctor showed me what is done now and how painless it is (she actually did it to me!). It was like a little pinecone with five little pricks in it. Each prick was a different allergin. They tested for environmental and food allergins with three little "pinecone" sets.

Hannah faced me, the nurse held her hands while I held her thighs. The nurse marked her back and then carefully "stamped" her back with the pricks. Hannah did not make a sound. I was so extremely proud of her. The hard part was afterwards where she or I could not touch her back for 15 minutes. So, the nurse gave her a sucker and that kept her perfectly happy, and a bit sticky for the 15 minutes.

The results were read and Hannah has severe egg and peanut allergies. I could not believe it when they said an epi pen must be kept with Hannah at all times. Apparently peanuts are a very tricky food to deal with since so many foods can pick up peanut product where foods are processed. I leanred a lot today! I was trained how to use the epi pen. I also learned more symptoms to watch for and what different types of food to avoid. She also could not get the flu shot normally since the shot contains egg particles! (She could have receieved it in two low doses, but would have to be monitored carefully and had to wait 45 minutes between the doses - I decided not to do it)

Hannah has to go back every year to see if she becomes more immune to the allergies or not. Hannah is a little trooper and I was so incredibly proud of her. I did not write about her 1 year well check, but she did not even cry when getting her finger pricked! She is a brave little girl and is so good with people she does not know. We are going to do everything in the world possible to keep from using those epi pens and prevent any reactions. But, I am so thankful that we went today. Our pediatrician gave us some great advice. We have had this appointment for about two months and I am so glad that we went. If anything were to happen, we are well prepared in what to do.

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness! what a big girl you have not making a peep at the doctor :) glad you know what to lookout for!

    **i thought of you as I was writing my minivan comment...i do love me a minivan :) i know they are great! ;)

    ReplyDelete