Wednesday, November 23, 2011

More Catching Up

Friday I got home from my conference in Richmond and when we were all back under one roof we headed to see my cousin Hunter play basketball! Yes!!! I am so glad it is basketball season! Hunter is a junior this year - cannot believe it - and he is such a good player.
the girls playing with Whitney at the game
end of the game - Emma showing off her skills

Saturday we took out our Christmas decorations. CUTE story - We have one container of Christmas "toys" like the Little People manger scene. Emma was pulled the manger out of the box and said, "look mommy! where baby Jesus was born!" We were like, "yes Emma, good job." Then, she pulled out the Mary figurine and said, "look! this is Mary - baby Jesus's mommy." Again, Bo and I were so impressed. Then, Hannah pulled out the Joseph figure and said, "look!!! A pirate!!" And then Bo and I were rolling on the floor laughing! Hannah always has some way to bring humor to our lives.

After decorating we went to the Norfolk City Lights Parade and Grand Illumination. The girls loved the parade as I expected. Their favorites were the little dogs that were dressed up in Christmas outfits. They got a kick out of them! The weather was chilly but not too cold. Of course we had to fight the traffic out of Norfolk, but Bo and I always say, it is one night out of the year and the girls just have a blast.

waiting
Chick Fil A float
up and dancing as Santa goes by

Sunday was go, go, go again. Emma and I went to church with mom at her church. Then, we had some last minute errands to run before hosting Dawn's baby shower at 3:00. The baby shower was very nice and Dawn got some beautiful things. That lasted until about 6:00 and then it was home, dinner, bath and bed. And.....I am pretty sure I fell asleep on the couch that night. I was exhausted.

This week has been nice at work since it was a short week. However, our family has received some very sad news about my grandmother. She has a biopsy done yesterday and after the doctors met with her, my mom and dad today they told us that there is a very large tumor on the kidney. The cancer has spread and surgery is not an option. The doctor also told us she is not a candidate for radiation because the tumor is causing so much bleeding. She will start some chemo next week to slow the process, but we know it will not cure it. I have seen her health decline in the past three weeks of knowing something is just not right. She is in the hospital tonight to get a blood transfusion and she is running a fever. I have a lot of emotions running through me right now. I have not slept well and it is hard to think these holidays coming up with her may be her last. My life is always so busy and taking care of the girls keeps me going nonstop. When they go to bed at night and the house is quiet my thoughts tend to occupy me. I am sad, angry, frustrated and upset. This is the closest I have had to come with this disease. Cancer has affected people I know, but not a relative this close to me. I had my own cancer scare this summer but seeing it with someone who is already fragile and older makes me very upset. We know there is not much anyone can do. I am reminded this Thanksgiving for having wonderful, loving grandmothers. I am also reminded how thankful we are to have good health and not take our days here for granted.

The girls are watching the Polar Express right now. They are excited for our trip tomorrow. We have a very busy day ahead. We will stop and see Granny when she is home from the hospital, eat lunch with my mom's family and then hit the road for our 7 hour journey to the Polar Express!

No comments:

Post a Comment