Friday, February 11, 2011

And Now.....Asthma!

Not as exciting as my title seems, but really I was prepared for this. The doctors and other moms of children with food allergies and eczema have told me that I would be very lucky if asthma did not follow. It normally goes hand and hand. Well.... I posted earlier in January how sick the girls had been. Emma has healed right up (honestly, I gave her some cold/cough medicine too but it certainly helped). I also gave a few doses to Hannah Boo but it was not helping. She was coughing so much in her sleep and it has seemed to get worse this past week. It just sounded like a different cough to me. I have been around children enough in my profession to know what an asthmatic cough sounds like. The more I heard Hannah it just sounded like it. She was also not getting better where Emma was. Then, I started to get nervous that if it were asthma I would have nothing to help her breathe. So, we went back to the doctor today. I told her all of my concerns and how Hannah had strep a few weeks ago but has just not healed and how familiar her cough sounded to me. She listened to Hannah very carefully and said that she was taking very short breaths and she wanted to give her a breathing treatment. So, I had both kids in the dr. office and they were both crying through the whole treatment. Emma thought Hannah was hurt and I had to keep telling her that it was not hurting Hannah. She understood and then she would cry and say, "Naaannaa Booo." She is very sensative when it comes to Hannah being hurt or upset. Anyway, we got through it. The dr. listened to Hannah after the treament and heard a big difference. She said that coughing was her form of "wheezing."
So, now we have an inhaler. We have to give it to her three times a day for at least two weeks. Hopefully by then the cough will subside and then the cold will get better. Then, we can reduce the inhaler more and more. She said that the strep Hannnah had possibly set all of this off. What a day! After the doctor it was time for some Chick Fil A and retail therapy. I had to pick up an order from a jewelry store so mom and I took the girls out while Bo was traveling home. We went to Gymboree for some cute summer stuff and Calvin Klein has the more gorgeous dress line I have ever seen - three new dresses for me!
I feel so good that I have had good advice from doctors and other moms dealing with all that Hannah has going on . I also feel good for trusting my instinct and not waiting this out any longer. I am glad I have the inhaler to help her get better and for when she may have some type of emergency - especially with seasonal allergies around the corner. Bo and I talked tonight that we will definately be those parents who will know the school nurse very well when Hannah goes to school. She will have so many things that stay in the nurses office and I will be that paranoid mom that makes sure everyone knows about her conditions! Hey - I will do whatever it takes to make her as safe and healthy as possible. We love you sweet Hannah.

No comments:

Post a Comment