Saturday, December 19, 2009

Legendary Santa


One of my most cherished Christmas traditions was dressing up, taking a day off of school and going with my cousins, aunts and grandmother to see the Legendary Santa in Richmond. This was the real Santa that exceeded any mall Santa. This Santa came down the chimney, called you over by name and you got to eat lunch with him. When I was little he used to be at the Miller and Rhoads Department store. When it closed, he went to Thalhamers(sp?) and then that closed so he went to the Childrens' Museum in Richmond. I never went to see a mall Santa and knew that when I had my own children that I would take them somewhere special to see Santa. Bo and I have set "rules" that you have to see Santa in order for him to come see you. Also, mommy and daddy will NOT sit on Santa's knee with you. I know that the girls are young, and they are at a stage where they may cry. But, they will look back and see that they always went to see Santa. Bo did not go last year because Emma was so little that I just went for the picture. Now that Emma is more aware of what is going on he came too. So, at 5:30 AM I had everything packed (snacks, outfits, extra outfits, juices, bottles, coats, hats, etc) and had two babies in the Hamrick van along with my mom and sister. We had purchased tickets to be in the room when Santa came down the chimney and to be one of the first people in line.

Santa came down the chimney, talked to the boys and girls and then sat in his chair. Emma watched just fine. You have to visit the snow queen first and then Santa calls you over by name and you sit on his knee. "Emma and Hannah , come on over," he said. Of course I knew Emma would scream, but Hannah? Hearing Emma screaming made poor baby Hannah cry! It was so funny! I love the picture. It is the stage that they were in at the time and it is the same Santa that I went to visit when I was little.



Afterwards we spent the day in Richmond. We went to Southpark Mall and rode the train and did a little shopping. We had lunch and then went home. The girls were worn out and I was exhausted from only 3 hours of sleep the night before (because I stayed up and got so much done the night before while everyone else slept.)

It is so wonderful to share traditions with my girls. We had a fun day and I will always remember it!

No comments:

Post a Comment