Monday, May 3, 2010

Car Craziness

On Friday, April 16th we thought it would be a great idea to go watch my cousin play in his baseball game in Wakefield. This is the order of events from the evening - craziness with two kids and what happened to our car.
  • I leave work and go to mom's house to get kids - we decide to go to ballgame

  • Bo wants to go, so he drives to moms house and meets us

  • We all depart (Bo, me, mom, emma &hannah) in the Hamrick van

  • I drove, parked the van at the ballfield (about 45 mins away from home) and got everyone out

  • Foul Ball was hit - ball lands on our windshield

  • Glass goes everywhere, hole in the windshield, glass in the car

  • We call insurance agent, decide we can't drive the car home due to the extensive windshield damage

  • Had to switch the car seats from the van to my aunt's suburban

  • It is dinner time, kids are cranky, I am stressed, trying to figure out what to do with the van

  • My uncle and Bo contact a tow truck

  • My dad has to come to Wakefield to bring my mom's vehicle so we can get home

  • Car seats are in aunt's suburban, mom, me, kids, grandmother and two little cousins leave to go to a restaurant

  • Bo and my uncle wait for the tow truck and my dad meets them at the ballfield

  • diaper changes, we all eat dinner, then load into my mom's vehicle (and all of our stuff has now been switched twice), to get back home

  • CRANKY kids in the car!!!!

  • Arrive at mom and dad's again, switch all "stuff" to Bo's vehicle

  • Drive back home

  • Kids are driving me nuts

  • It is now about 9:30 pm

  • Get home, baths, bed

  • no van until Monday

  • I had to go to ODU on Saturday morning to just present all of my work from the hole semester - my nerves were already bad enough!

  • Had to drive Bo's car to campus, left the lights on (I am not used to turning them off), battery went dead, strange location, had to go to fire station across the street to get the car jumped

  • Sunday - couldn't go anywhere

  • Monday - had to drive my mom's car to work
  • Windshield gets replaced

  • Monday afternoon - drive back to Wakefield with mom and kids to get the van, had to vacume the van at my aunt and uncle's house to get all of the glass out

  • had to put car seats back in the van

  • FINALLY things are back to normal

No other word can describe that evening and weekend other than CRAZINESS. I am not a very easy going person anyway. I like things to be organized and I don't deal well with chaos. I am trying to be better at this and I think I would have been somewhat better if I did not have such a big deal with graduate work the very next day. Anyway, all is done! Now I can laugh, but it was a very interesting weekend of events. Here is a picture of the van, which really does not do it justice. The whole was here, but cracks spread throughout the whole windshield.

There are always worse things that could happen! I know this! I just thought I would write about how many more things have to be thought through when you have children. I had to make many decisions (which I am not good at) about car seats, dinner, diapers, safety, and keeping the babies happy and safe. Situations like this can get complicated. My family was wonderful and helped me so much. My aunt and uncle even had the van kept at their house for us. Thanks for dealing with me! Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment